Growing Deeper at LivingWaters by Pastor Scott
Midweek Scripture consideration for LivingWaters – Wednesday, September 1, 2021
I have heard that, “September is the best time to fertilize your lawn.” Well, September is here and I want to encourage each of us to consider some of the opportunities we are providing as “fall fertilizer” to help us grow into the fullness of Christ Jesus.
Growing Deeper at LivingWaters
Last Sunday in our study of Ephesians 4 we discovered that the goals for Church growth are related to:
1) Calling – living lives worthy of our calling in Christ (4:1)
2) Character – being completely humble, gentle, patient, forgiving, loving… (4:2)
3) Cooperation – every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit (4:3)
4) Compassion – to each one of us grace has been given (4:7)
5) Community – to prepare God’s people for works of service until we all reach…unity, maturity, fullness (4:11-13)
“The whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each does its work” –Ephesians 4:16
Our growth does not come in isolation and it is not a personal improvement plan. It is growth in Jesus Christ, “the Head” and it is done in community (the body-each other) for the sake of fulling Christ’s mission for His Church-growing disciples.
Peter encouraged believers to be prepared for our Lord’s coming with this challenge: “live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming” (2 Peter 3:11-12). He ends his letter with this call: “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen.” 2 Peter 3:18. Our calling as Christ followers is to grow in the grace and to grow in our knowledge our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Here are some opportunities for growing deeper in Christ & Community at LW this fall:
- Cover to Cover Bible survey course – begins Tuesday, September 7 at LivingWaters – visit the Village Schools of the Bible website for more information and to register: https://villageschoolsofthebible.org/classes/cover-to-cover
- LW Education hour – 9AM on Sunday mornings – age level classes; the adults will be continuing their study in the Gospel of Mark beginning Sunday, September 12 – children & youth will be starting up on Sunday, September 19
- Intergenerational ministries – first & third Wednesday nights beginning September 15 – community building with all ages and then Christ-centered studies for the various age groups; the adult group will be led by Gene Dahmes in a doctrinal study, “Knowing God” – an in depth study in Christian doctrines.
- Discover LivingWATERS – a two week class on the mission, vision, values and our statement of Faith – who we are, what we believe, where we came from and where we are headed with Pastor Scott; 9AM in the Ministry Center on September 19 & 26 – all are welcome, especially if interested in church membership: https://lwmn.breezechms.com/form/a0b23a
- Small Groups & “D-groups” for deeper discipleship – if you are already in a group and are discussing what to study I’d like to recommend that you join me in studying Paul’s letter to the churches in Galatia. If you would like to be included in a small group, discipleship group or want to start a new group please contact Paul Carlberg.
New expository sermon series starts Sunday, September 26, Galatians–the gospel of grace
In this next study we will take a verse by verse walk through the letter of Galatians, going back to the basics to being a church that is refreshed by grace and committed to becoming a community of grace-filled believers, growing in Christ.
By God’s Grace & for God’s Glory,
A resource for you to check out if you desire to know how we can grow in God’s grace is a book by Dane C. Ortlund called, Deeper: Real Change for Real Sinners (Answering the question: How do Christians grow?)